Wednesday, February 17, 2010

I put on my big girl panties...

As most of you know, I graduated in August of 2009 with a Masters degree in Social Work. After graduating with an MSW - you have to take a National exam to become a Certified Social Worker. This exam costs $175.00, is 170 questions, and 4 hours long. Good times right?! Not so!

I have horrible text anxiety so of course I didn't want to take it! Can you blame me?! You have to get a 70 to pass - and statistically speaking - Nationwide only about 70% of people pass it on their first try. Those are pretty good odds - but I was convinced I would be one of the 30% that had to take it again. I know of several people from my Masters Program who I know are MUCH smarter than I am - that didn't pass their first time. But, I also know several people who are not as smart as I am (boy do I sound arrogant) that passed their first time. So, I really didn't know what to do.

Around November last year I started toying around with the idea of taking the test. I pulled out all of my study material - printed around 500 pages worth of study guides - and borrowed study guides from other people.... and didn't crack them open until January of this year. Around mid-January I decided I had to be serious and take the test. The only way I would do that is if I scheduled the test and had it already paid for and then I would be forced to take it! So, I registered for the test.... A few days later I got my registration letter in the mail telling me that I was approved to take the test and that I should schedule a day and time to take it. So, I put on my big girl panties and called and scheduled to take the test on February 16th thinking it was over a month away and I would have plenty of time to study!

As the weeks passed leading up to the test - I tried to study, really I did. I made some flash cards, I took several practice tests, I read an entire study guide/manual, I studied between meetings in my car, I studied at home, I studied at UVU while waiting for my classes to start, etc. I felt like I was studying as best as I could -and amazingly, February 16th snuck up on me and all of a sudden it was here! I felt horribly unprepared for this test - I kept getting 68%'s on my practice tests! If I failed I would have to wait 6 months and pay the $175 again to take the test. Needless to say I was having tons of anxiety!

I decided to put matters into the Lord's hands and asked my dad and brother for a priesthood blessing - I just needed to be able to sleep the night before and be able to concentrate long enough to take the blasted exam! My ADHD was going to seriously impair my ability to sit still for 4 hours in order to take the test! The blessing was beautiful and I was told that I would be able to relax, and concentrate, and that I would be guided in taking the test as long as I was prepared.

That evening I did a drive-by so I knew where to go for the test, had some sleepytime tea and went right to bed. I fell asleep after about 30 minutes (which is really long for me) and slept soundly until the alarm went off! I got out of bed not feeling nervous at all - after my shower that was another thing. I had some oatmeal for breakfast and some tension tamer tea as well, and off I went. I registered for my test at 8:15 and started by 8:30. About two hours later I answered the final question on the test. I had to take a lame survey (no doubt intended to make you freak a little longer) and then a page popped up - I expected to see in giant letters You Failed, or You Passed. Instead, I had to read down half of the page to see where it said "Congratulations, You have passed the ASWB Clinical Social Work exam" Woot woot! I about passed out! You can't imagine the relief I feel now! It's amazing! So, it's official - I am a CSW now... in 2 years I will become an LCSW!!!

Therapy anyone? I'm cheap! :)

2 comments:

April and Rick said...

I am so proud of you Jen, that is awesome!! It is no suprise you passed, you are such a smarty!! I am sure I will need cheap therapy from you one day ;)

Vicki said...

You already know I need therapy!