Friday, October 18, 2013

June 27, 2013



Yesterday was my retrieval (or extraction as Travis calls it).  Before my appointment my doctor said he expected they would retrieve about 10 eggs and that probably 5-7 of them would be mature. I was a little deflated because last time I had 10 that actually had fertilized.  But, I thought maybe he was wrong. When they woke me up from the anesthesia, they told me that they had retrieved 22 eggs!  Holy cow!  That’s WAY more than the 14 they retrieved last time.  

I just got off the phone with Cheryl a nurse from the office.  Out of the 22 eggs they retrieved, only 8 of them were mature.  They performed ICSI on all 8 of them, but only 5 of them actually fertilized.  Bleh.  We then scheduled a transfer for Saturday morning. I have to be there at 9:30 am and the transfer will be at 10 am.  They’ll give me a Valium to keep me calm and the procedure usually only takes about 3 minutes.  Then I’ll keep my fingers (and legs) crossed and hope it sticks this time.

I have felt so good about this cycle, that it's really frustrating to hear the numbers. I'm feeling really deflated right now.

No comments: